Riding upon the legends in the lands of Himachal, the picturesque Renuka lake presents a story of obedience and rage of the Sage Jamdagni and his son Parsurama. The Sage in a fit of anger ordered his son to kill his own mother. The obedient son that he was, parsuram did exactly as told and killed his mother Renuka. However, upon realizing their folly, they carved out a lake which was shaped in the form of sleeping Renuka and named it Renuka Lake.
The Lake is about 40 km from Nahan and with its crystal clear water and beautiful sloping surroundings, is considered the most beautiful lakes in Himachal.
A grand fair is organized in November to remember the great family and celebration during the week are one of its kind. Regular boating and some adventure sports are available near the Lake.
Fast Fact – RENUKA JI
- District- Sirmour
- STD Code:- 01702
- When To Go: All year round.The Renuka Fair takes place on Kartik Ekadasi (01 days after diwali)
- Location - Renuka ji is in far south Himanchal very close to the Uttarakhand border, 2 km from the banks of the Giri River.
- Journey Time :
Distance : - 120 Km NE of Ambala, 310 Km N of Delhi (7 1/2 hrs from Delhi)
- Rout from Delhi : - NH1 to Ambala via Murthal, Samalkha, Panipat, karnal and Pipli;NH72 to Nahan via Narangarh; SH to Renukaji via Dosarka and Dadahu
- Rout from Shimla : - NH22 to Solan Via Shogi and Kandaghat; state road to Renukaji via Gaura,Sarahan, Dosarka and Daduha
- Rout from Dehradun : - NH72 to Paonta Saheb via Herbertpur; state road to Renukaji via sataun
- By air : Nearest airport is Chandigarh (112 Km; 3 hrs), connected by daily flights to Delhi, Jammu and Mumbai. A Taxi to Renukaji costs Rs 1,500 – 1,800
- By Rail : Nearest rail head is Ambala cantt (118 Km; 3 ½ hrs) connected to Delhi Kalka and Amritsar by Shatabdis, among many other connected, and to Kolkata, Jammu and Mumbai by three daily express trains each. Taxi to Renukaji costs Rs 1,800 approx
- Road : renukaji is just off NH73 that connects Roorkee to Panchkula via Saharanpur, and just 31 Km from Nahan on NH72. NH72 links Haridwar and Dehradun via Poanta sahib and Nahan to Ambala on NH1. From Ambala. NH1 goes north to Amritsar and south to Delhi. NH22 goes north from Ambala to Kalka and Shimla. All told, Renukaji is a comfortable 7 ½ hrs drive from Delhi
What to see
Jaitak Fort,Rajbans (Sirmouri Tal),Ranzor Palace
Beaches, Lakes & Falls (3)
Pakka Talab,Rani Tal,Renuka Lake
Renuka Wildlife Park,,Simbalwara Wildlife Sanctuary
Saketi Fossil Park
Choordhar Peak, Jamu Peak
Where to Stay
Renukaji (2600 ft)
Hotel Renuka - HPTDC
Hotel Devicos Plaza